- Carefully clean and prepare all surfaces, fine sanding and rounding off sharp edges as necessary.
- Remove all previous paint, varnish, shellac or lacquer and wipe the surface clean of dust.
- Stir often during application to ensure an even coat.
- Stir well for 5 minutes and then apply with a soft paintbrush, applicator pad, roller or suitable spray.
- Thin the first coat down with 10-15% clean mineral turps as this is the sealer coat.
- Leave this coat to dry for 4 hours, fill any imperfections and then leave to dry fully for 24 hours before applying further coats.
3. Drying Time
- Allow 24 hours drying time between each coat.
- 3-4 coats are needed for excellent protection, however you can use Monocel Clear Timber Varnish for the final coats if you’re happy with the stained colour before the minimum coats are achieved.
- A light sanding between coats is recommended with 240-grit sandpaper.
- Remove any dust before recoating.
Up to 16 square metres per litre depending on the porosity and application technique.
A minimum of 3 coats including a sealer coat.
If spraying, coats can be thinned with 10-15% clean mineral turpentine to aid application.
- To deepen the colour, apply additional coats.
- Drying may take longer if the weather is cold or humid.
- Do not use below 10° C.
- If conditions are warm, thinning additional coats with no more than 5% clean mineral turpentine will ease application.
Please ensure that rim of tin is free from any excess product and the lid is tightly closed. Clean all equipment promptly with mineral turps followed by a fresh water rinse with a little detergent added. Do not pour left over product or washings down drains. Keep unwanted paint in sealed containers for disposal via special waste collection services.
It is recommended that normal personal protective clothing should be worn, including coveralls, impervious gloves and goggles. Avoid unnecessary skin contact and inhalation. Provide adequate ventilation. If swallowed, contact a doctor or the Poison Information Centre on 13 11 26. Give a glass of water to drink and do not induce vomiting.